Thursday, November 29, 2007

R685 Week 15, Final Class Post

Week 15 Mobile, Wireless, and Ubiquitous Learning

We will be talking about mobile learning, the next frontier. I reflected this a bit in my Wikibook how the University of Western Florida has developed a HPT certification course by for the Coast Guard delivered via PDA. The PDA wireless and Bluetooth capabilities have been turned off for security purpose but anytime anywhere is becoming a reality. This is also what Bryan Alexander asked me in this blog. It definitely is the future.

I have not finished the readings for this week but will later in the weekend. However, I want to get this out so I do not hold my critical friend, Yichun, back from commenting. This week is my final blog post for R685 but, I have a feeling not my last blog post here.

Articles:

Traxlar, John (2007, June). Defining, discussing and evaluating mobile learning: The moving finger writes and having writ…. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning. 8(1). Retrieved July 2,2007, from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/346/875 or http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/346/875oor

Kadirire, James (2007, June). Instant messaging for creating interactive and collaborative m-learning environments. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning. 8(1). Retrieved July 2,2007, from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/344/874

Rekkedal, Torstein, & Dye, Aleksander (2007, June). Mobile distance learning with PDAs: Development and testing of pedagogical and system solutions supporting mobile distance learners. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning. 8(1). Retrieved July 2,2007, from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/349/871

Tidbit:

Sideman, Jessica (2006, August 27). Wired for safety, late-night snacks. USA Today, Retrieved November 20, 2006, from http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear/2006-08-27-campus-tech_x.htm

3 comments:

Bryan Alexander said...

Nice readings list.

So how often are Coast Guard people online?

Chris said...

Dr. Bryan Alexander,

I am flattered that an esteemed educator, as yourself, would visit my blog, let alone leave a comment, thank you. As for the reading list you would have to thank Dr. Curt Bonk who took the time (I would assume a lot of time) putting this together. I tried to pick the ones more pertainant to my realm in the Coast Guard.

I think Coast Guard people are roaming around quite a bit. Fredsplace.org is a place for "Coasties" to come together and has been growing for the last 5 years. In a formal capacity, like this, probably not many. I am in a Advanced Education program where they let me be a student for a year. In fact, we send a lot of Naval Engineers to the University of Michigan to obtain their Masters.

I will be placed into the Performance Tech program when I leave Indiana, so maybe I can implement some things. My class just wrote a Wikibook, and I wrote a chapter on Web 2.0 and emerging technologies in the military. Let me know if you want to take a look (or edit) and I will send a link.

Again, thanks for visiting.

Chris

Yichun's BLOG in IST, IUB said...

It’s so good to see you finding data that connect your working experiences with your wiki chapter. And thank you for posting it so early though I still give you comment late. I really enjoy reading your posts and thanks for your editing my wiki chapter as well. ☺